Search This Blog

Thursday, February 6, 2014

A Call to Growth - Duc Me Maria / Mary

A Call to Growth

By Love text in heart--Background

There are so many people, stories, lessons and truths to be learned in reading the Bible. Throughout Scripture, we encounter numerous people in various seasons of life. There will always be a story that can relate to where you are now. There will always be a character that you identify with no matter what you are going through or what circumstances surround your life.
Personally, the character my mind has been wandering to in the last few months is Mary, mother of Jesus. Perhaps it's because we just came out of the Christmas season, but as I read and re-read about her in Luke, I notice a steadfastness about her that I have come to admire so much. You see, as we read about Jesus' birth and childhood we encounter various confirmations from God about Jesus' divinity. As Mary witnesses these (ie: shepherds visiting at stable, prophesy from Simeon at the Temple, Jesus staying at the Temple with the teachers) it says that Mary 'stored these things in her heart' (ie: 2:19, 51).
I wonder what was going through Mary's mind as she was continually reminded that Jesus was not only her son, but the Son of God. As God confirmed again and again of the calling on His life (and therefore the calling on her life), she didn't go blabbing to the next door neighbor about what miracles she experienced or how the prophet Simeon prophesied so powerfully about Him. Instead, she kept them inside. Pondered them, examined them, and remembered them.
If I reflect back on the confirmations God has spoken to me about my calling, how many of them have I kept a tally of and hidden in my heart? When trials come and life seems to be headed in every direction but the one I thought it would, how quick am I to forget all that He's spoken to me about my future? Do I reflect and meditate on the gifts he's given me, so as to be mindful of them and steward them well?
Just as the author in Hebrews 5:11-6:12 encourages the believers to be purposeful in cultivating their spiritual growth, how will we plan and be purposeful in cultivating our own spiritual growth? It is a challenge I am throwing to myself and whoever else wants to take it on. By remembering what He has already spoken to us about our future, we can confidently walk through trials and move forward into His plan and purpose for our lives today.
 
- See more at: http://www.womenalive.org/2014/01/15/a-call-to-growth/#sthash.koDkIAXB.dpuf